Thursday, May 7, 2009

Apologies

Inspired by This American Life, who was inspired by William Carlos Williams.

Listen to the episode here, in Act Two: http://thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1291

Read the poem here: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15535



I didn’t go to Easter Mass that Sunday. Forgive me, my priorities are being swayed by the liberals at my liberal school.


Forgive me for not making eye contact with you today. I just can’t stand to be this physically close to you on a regular basis.

I’m sorry I hate living with you so much. You would think that since we are friends it wouldn’t matter. Yeah, well, I don’t feel like we’re friends anymore.

I’m sorry that it is both our faults, and sorry that I think it’s mostly yours.

Sorry I am annoyed by every little thing that you do.

Sorry you have no self esteem to suck it up and talk to me. That must be hard.

I’m sorry you are so small in this world.

Sorry I don’t like sharing things with you. I will share them with anyone else, but not you.

Sorry you have to figure shit out for yourself.

Sorry spending time with you is so unsatisfying for the deep, empty pit that is miles away in my chest.

Sorry I have nothing to say back to you, I just don’t want you to come along.


Sorry I am to you what all this is to me, but I do not have the capacity to quit.

Sorry I assumed that is what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers